11 September 2005

rain rain go away

I live in a city that is in a geographic region categorised as "semi-arid". As far as I understand, that means one level above desert. Two years ago, it was hot and sunny all summer. It was awesome! This summer has been slightly cool and very wet.

So wet in fact, that my place of work was required to replace its roof this summer because it leaked so badly. Five contractors, four months, and two rain delays later, and the roof is finally replaced. Until this morning...

I got phoned early yesterday morning, 10 am, with someone from work telling me that there's a bit of a leak. I arrive to find that to be a complete understatement.

Through my powers of deduction, I reduce the symptoms to the following theory: at one point in the distant history of the building, there was once a roof drain (as is common for flat roof buildings). Some time after that, another one came along and decided that it wouldn't be a drain anymore. Instead of doing a proper job: removing the roof jack and pipe, the pipe was smashed off with a hammer inside the building, just above the ceiling, and the roof jack was filled with tar and gravel.

Decades later, many moons, many seasons, and building renovations as well, a new roofer comes along two weeks ago to replace the roof. The foreman sees what he believes is a drain that has been plugged by duff and debris, ogres out the drain, and installs a retro fitted roof jack.

Then the deluge returns for anothing soaking of this fine city, and the once stopped roof drain again begins its duty: draining roof water into the building.

I call a plumber, because it's water leaking from a pipe. He was unable to locate the required part on a Saturday. I call the roofer. Three different mobile numbers, and voicemail on all three. Even the mobile that the office auto attendant claims to be the 24/7 emergency contact. I was not impressed.

I was reduced to purchasing a tarp and a 132 litre garbage receptacle with wheels. I hung the tarp on the wall to prevent further water damage to the drywall, and placed the receptacle under the leak to retain the water for proper disposal.

Several hours later, the owner of the roofing company phones me to tell me that the foreman will be here this morning.

Here I am, early in the morning again (10 am), to have the roofer confirm my theory.

He stops up the leak, and will return when it's dry to fix the problem: a pipe that goes nowhere.

It's Sunday morning, it's still raining, has been raining since Friday night, and I just want the rain to go away.

No comments: