03 September 2005

Grizzly Creek

So tired.

Anthony and I went to the Grizzly Creek Trail west and south of Beaver Mines today. The trail was highly rated by Doug Eastcott in his Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies (an awesome book!!).

This trail was rated as: physical = difficult / technical = intermediate.



"From a major ford of the South Castle River to one of the finest single track rides anywhere, this trip delivers adventure." Oh so true.

We didn't make it to Grizzly Lake, as we had a late start on our trip. However, we figured that we did get about 10 km in. The ride in was mostly uphill and mostly walked and pushed instead of pedalled. Just as was described, the physical was difficult. But as always, when a hill goes up, it also goes down. The ride back was fast and awesome.



The single track was quite overgrown in many parts, and both of us got a few scrapes. I don't even remember feeling that scrape on my leg, it was just there when I looked down. But that one on my arm: I remember well. I ran off the trail and into a tree and scraped up on those thorn like dead branches poking out all over. It could have been worse than it was.




No hemorrhaging. No flats. No sun burns. Truly, it was a great ride for a long weekend.

No comments: