21 September 2005

the probability of squash

Wednesday night has become squash night. Yes! I finally have a squash night! I have arrived.

I enjoy playing squash; if you've never tried it, you ought to, it's quite good competitive fun. And you will sweat lots too.

I have been playing squash for about 5 years now, and only in the past month have I witnessed some amazing feats of probability.

For instance, while playing with Jeremy, I have twice been hit in the back of the head by the ball on Jeremy's return. And it's totaly fluke really; it's not as though one is trying to smoke another on the back of the head with a squash ball. They can hurt.

But even better than that...as though this were something to brag about...while playing with Travis last week, I return the ball straight into Travis' left eye! He was wearing protective eyewear, so that was good, but the ball still hit with enough force to make quite a sound and make a red spot around his eye where the goggle was pressed onto his face. What are the chances? Really now, as I've mentioned, I've been playing for five years and this was the first time that I have ever witnessed someone being hit directly in the eye by the ball. Crazy.

And to add to the improbability, this evening, again playing a match with Travis, I return the ball, and though it did not quite go towards to the wall, as I had obviously intended, it did manage to sack Travis in the junk and send him to the floor. I think. I mean, I was laughing too hard to notice his pain. I was actually on the floor too...because I was laughing so hard.



Note: Junk: 3. the lump of oily fibrous tissue in a sperm whale's head, containing spermaceti.

No comments: