05 January 2006

the Darwin Awards

The Darwin Awards

"We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it. Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously."




A couple of my local additions...


Girl crosses busy Trans-Canada highway by foot, at night in the dark, and is struck and killed by a car.

Having lived in Canmore and Calgary and commuted numerous times between the two on this very stretch of highway, I know that I have nearly hit elk several times. The highway is not lit, and often has many shadows and such because it's in the foothills. I also likely never drove less than 120 km/h, and typically about 130 km/h.

Yes yes, it is a horrible tragedy that someone was struck by a car. However, I'm asking this question: Why were you crossing the #1 alone in the dark at night while there was heavy traffic? Especially since you were supposed to be at home babysitting.

I don't speak from ignorance here, I've been hit by a car! But I'm not stupid enough to cross four lanes of divided highway with most vehicles travelling 100 km/h at the minimum. It doesn't make sense.

This stretch of highway, and the village of Morley, are on a reserve. It is never uncommon to see residents wandering/stumbling down the side of the highway.

Wildlife and stock have underpasses and overpasses. They use them.


Experienced skier dies from head trauma after falling off a cliff out of bounds at Whistler.

Initially, the reports were that the skier was out of bounds. However, it is now believed that he was skiing in bounds, but very near the edge of the ski boundary. When he fell, somehow he slid out of bounds and off a cliff.

I've linked the above article because it was the first I found that stated he was not wearing a helmet.

I ski. I sometimes ski alone. But I wouldn't ski extreme double black diamonds alone. And if I did, I would tell someone where I was going. And I always wear a helmet. Not wearing a helmet for participation in any sport is stupid. What one may consider a minor bump on the head can actually be serious enough to cause death.

Again, this is tragic. But one must ask the questions: Why was this skier alone? Why was he not wearing a helmet?

When I'm on the hill, the only people I see not wearing helmets are the infrequent skiers; the vacationers. Anyone who skis regularly wears a helmet.

No comments: