02 January 2006

2006 starts off with a bang

Literally.

I was at Fernie today skiing, and the avalanche control people were blasting the avalanche cannons. Quite a sound if you've never heard it before, no one has told you it's going to happen, and then you hear it. Something akin to war.

Fernie was great today. Totally worth the trip.

Except for lunch.

And it's sad to start off the year this way, but it's got to be done. Another restaurant has been added to the permanently banned list: Kelsey's.

I have been to two different locations over the holidays: Signal Hill, Calgary, on December 23; and Fernie Alpine Resort, Fernie BC, today, January 2. I remember the first visit ever to a Kelsey's, when it had just opened up in St. Thomas, Ontario. I had the cracked peppercorn burger, and it was fantastic! Good enough that I still remember it 8 years later. I'm not sure if I've been to any Kelsey's since that time, but the Signal Hill visit was dismal. The biggest problem is that the burgers are no longer made in the store; they are frozen factory made burgers, the peppercorns have no flavour, because they were ground and frozen to the burger weeks/months before being cooked for my meal. Very disappointing. If you're going to charge $11 for a fucking hambuger, it had better be made fresh in the kitchen when I order it, grilled, not fried.

I had packed a lunch today, but my boarding friends insisted on paying for my lunch at Kelsey's. I'm not one to turn down gratuities. We had to wait 20 minutes for a table, and after being seated were then told that we would wait another 40 minutes for food!!! I can understand the place being busy and not getting a seat for 20 minutes, however, in that time while waiting, there were several tables I could see that were not being cleared. And then 40 minutes for food?!? That's ridiculous. Unacceptable. If I was paying, I would have left. I had a packed lunch in the car anyway. Seriously, if you cannot manage your restaurant to be able to be full and get food orders prepared in under 20 minutes, then perhaps your management skills are lacking, or you don't have enough staff working. It should have been free! And in that 40 minutes, our drinks were never refilled!!!

And only to end up with the same factory pressed cardboard mc-burger. And the fries, though slightly tasty and actually hot, were so few in quantity, I would have got more fries if ordering the child size from any fast food dive.

The pemanently banned restaurant list:

  • Applebee's

  • Kelsey's

  • Moxie's




And what's with the possesive form names of restaurants?

No comments: