22 December 2005

one step closer

Telus has recently introduced (finally, I mean, years behind both Sasktel and MTS) television over phone line.

Personally, I don't like Telus. I've had history with them, and it's not pleasant. Both personal and business. One time, I tried to get a phone line for the company, and it was going to take 8 weeks to turn it on. EIGHT WEEKS??!!!?? That's just pathetic. That wouldn't happen in Saskatchewan. There's something to be said for crown corporations. And that something is always positive.

However, I'm not here to promote one or the other.

I don't watch tv because I don't own a tv. I can usually find better things to do with my time.

Yet, if I had a tv, I would not like to pay for cable service (or tv over phone line) because of this single reason: I want to buy individual channels, not a broad package of "themes" which Shaw or Rogers or Bell Expressvu have deemed appropriate.

If I want news, I want CBC and CNN. I don't care about CTV.

Anyway, it has always been my contention that I will never pay for tv signals until the time comes that I can purchase by channel, not by theme pack.

Telus has made this nearly possible with their new tv service offering.

It's not perfect. You've still got to buy a base pack of a bunch of channels I would never watch and therefore don't want to support by paying a fee. However, after that base, there is the option of buying individual channels.

Hopefully this trend will continue to a world where eventually all channels will be available individually.

Sure, keep the theme packs, but give me choice!




Speaking of choice...



Don't vote Liberal!!!



Vote for anyone but the fucking Liberals.

No comments: