30 October 2005

firefighting chili

Thomas and I kick it back with a bottle of pinot noir from Jackson Triggs.




After that, we decide to head out to Mocha for a coffee. It was all good. Bumped into a few friends we didn't expect to see. Cory was there and coined the phrase: "Thomified". Thomification refers to the score a female receives, from Thom, based on her physical attractiveness. She's been Thomified; on the Thomification scale, she's a 5.

Thom drives me home, and a block away, we see the flashing lights of a fire truck. Come around the corner, and we see, what is likely all the firetrucks in Lethbridge, on my street, with a bunch of firefighters outside my building!!

The firefighters wouldn't let me in. Said something about a pot on a stove on the fifth floor. !!!!! I live on the fifth floor!!! Did I leave something on? I'm looking for smoke. Don't see anything.

Walking back to Thom's car, I notice my neighbours outside on the sidewalk, so I stop to talk with them; it was the greasy rednecks. They were burning something in their flat, and it was stinking up the whole floor, and the fire alarm was going off. The neighbour went down to the super's flat, and all he did was turn off the fire alarm!! The neighbour decided someone should call 911. Hence the fire department. As we're standing out on the street, we see some firefighters on the balcony of the rednecks, trying to get into the bedroom window. ?? Can't they just open the door? Weird.

Just after midnight and too chilly to wait anymore, Thom and I head to Tim's.



Thom's discussion with the server at Tim's:

Thom: "Do you have any chili?"

Server: "Yes."

Thom: "Ok, I will have the chili combo." Turns to me and says: "But I don't want the donut, do you want the donut?"

Me: "Sure, I will have the donut."

Thom: to Server, "I will have the chili combo."

Server: "Would you like anything else with that?"

Thom: "No thanks. Just the chili combo."

Server: "Ok, that's $4.22."

Thom: "How is it only $4.22, when the sign says $5.11 plus tax?"

Server: "You ordered the chili combo, it's $4.22 with tax."

Thom: "But that sign right there says $5.11 plus tax. I'm just wondering why it's almost a dollar cheaper than the sign."

Server: "You ordered the chili combo, chili and a donut. It's $4.22."

Thom: "The combo comes with coffee, right? I want the coffee."

Server: "You said you didn't want anything else."

Thom: "That's right, nothing in addition to the combo."

....




Seriously, that conversation went on for another 10 minutes. At least. I had to go outside because I was going to burst out laughing!!! And I did!!! I went outside to meet the neighbours from my building coming in to Tim's. Word from the street is: the fire department was gone and the all clear was given. Word from inside Tim's is: if you're going to order the combo, make sure you order everything in the combo as well. Otherwise, you won't get the combo, you'll just get whatever the name of the combo is, without the combo.

Thom asked me if he was just confused, or was the server really messed up. I said the server was messed up. The "combo" traditionally indicates a combination of items from the menu. If I order a combo, but then have to order everything from that combo separately, then it's not really a combo, is it?

Apparently, the server often has customers ordering the "combo", but only wanting the chili, and not the combo, so he asks if they want anything else. Typically, it is his experience that a customer will also order a coffee, not one in addition to the combo, but the coffee which is included in the combo.


When did the world become so complex?


Could I get the chili combo? No coffee. No donut. No bun. Just the chili....combo.



Then Thom fills us in on the rest of the conversation about the damn combo.

Some other person had to come "from the back", to assist the first server with voiding the other combo, to put the real combo on the order. Somehow, they ended up with three Tim's servers getting the fucking combo ordered. At last! Success! The combo is served, but wait...

Server: "Would you like white or whole wheat with your combo?"

Thom: "You have whole wheat donuts?"

No comments: