08 October 2005

are you a boozer?

I decided, quite on the fly, that I would host a Thanksgiving Dinner at my flat for Monday afternoon. This was mostly due to not having any real invitations extended to me to go somewhere else.

And even with such short notice, I've already got nearly ten people confirmed to come.

Then I decide that I should buy some wine for the occassion. Being as I'm not a wine drinker, but I want to become a bit better about knowing about wine beyond what I learned in the movie Sideways, I give a phone call to the only boozer I know: the pastor's wife.

Now, I'm not saying that Carla is a boozer, but she does know her wine, and port, and beer, both domestic micro brew and imported.

On the phone with her, in the liquor store, she asks me what store I'm at. I say I'm on the southside. She says that if I was at a liquor store on the westside, she would be able to explain to me where a specific recommended wine is located on the store's shelves.

Odd, how would she know?

"Oh, not that I drink it often."

Another suggestion she made ended with: "...and it comes in a litre and a half bottle."

To which I replied: "Do they even have paper bags that big?"

It was quite humourous. And remember, this was the pastor's wife.




Going with a Canadian theme for my Canadian Thanksgiving, I bought the 2003 pinot noir from Mission Hill, and the 2004 cabernet from Pelee Island.

No comments: