15 May 2007

the Seven Wonders of Canada

CBC has a shortlist of 50 nominations for the Seven Wonders of Canada.

My picks are:

  • Northern Lights
    Not much is better than a warm night lying on a beach, or going for a swim, watching the northern lights dance across the sky

  • Prairie Skies
    You just won't get it until you see it. I will likely always live on the prairies for the sky.

  • Spiral Tunnels
    Not just the spiral tunnels through Kicking Horse, but the rail lines in general (and don't for the High Level Bridge in Lethbridge!). The engineering marvel of the Canadian railway system, and that over a hundred years ago! Linking communities and towns to cities and the coasts. Awe-inspiring.

  • The Canoe
    The Canoe is the predecessor to the railway. Without it, relatively quick and easy travel in Canada would never have been possible.

  • The Rockies
    My backyard playground. Whether it's hiking, biking, skiing, camping, or skinny dipping, the Rockies are never boring or tiresome. I can't imagine living away from them.

  • Trans Canada Highway
    Again with the transportation theme, the T-C has bourne the weight of many of my trips in that old VW Jetta, among other modes of transporation. I have driven / ridden on most of the Trans Canada, from Vancouver to Sudbury, and Montréal to Moncton and Charlottetown. I have also driven / ridden on the entire Crows Nest Trail, from Medicine Hat to Hope. If you've done #1, it's a dump compared to #3. My ultimate road trip would be to drive the entire highway.

  • The Igloo
    It's just amazing how snow can be used to make a liveable shelter, which protects the inhabitants from the same thing that its made of! I can recall many snow-fort building expeditions from my youth.








View the results.

No comments: