18 April 2006

godfather?

I was recently privied to the stash of dvd's in my housemate's room.

"Feel free to watch whatever you want, my son."

In the extensive pile I found The Godfather, parts 1 and 3. No sugar coating this one, I'm getting straight to the point.

TERRIBLE!

Worst movie ever!

Now, that's in contrast to it somehow winning best picture in 1972, and to somehow being #1 on IMDB. Had I not known these two stats, I may have been a bit more forgiving.

Terrible. I have officially wasted 6 hours of my life I will NEVER get back. These were worse than Dead Poets Society.

The last 20 minutes of #3 were so brutal, I watched them at 8x speed, just to get through it all. And I agree, Sophia was a horrible actor. I nearly cheered when she finally died! Why Vincent would find his fat cousin attractive, I do not know.

Now, aside from it being too long and too boring, there were just too many unanswered stories. That 45 minute wedding scene at the beginning of part 1, and I don't even know who got married! Oh wait, now I remember, the groom was in two other scenes, one where he beats his stupid wife (and she needed it, damn! she was a bitch!) and the next where he gets strangled in a car.

The movie is supposed to be about Michael, yet his wedding to Kay doesn't even happen! And why would she just jump in the car with him and drive off to the mafia country estate?

Terrible.

And Brando winning best actor? For what? I couldn't even hear or understand what he was saying most of the time!

In every scene, with any event that occurred, it took far too long. I could likely edit those 6 hours down to 2, and you'd still know the whole story!

I don't even want to bother with #2, because I already know that he dies.

Pathetic.

But then again, take a look at some of the films in the top 250 at IMDB. It's sad. Really sad. The top 250 movies in POPCORN SALES perhaps!

Flame me if you want, but know that you're wrong if you thought this movie is deserving of all the hype.

No comments: