12 March 2006

ski the Castle

Went skiing at Castle yesterday.

Total snowfall this year: 805 cm.

It was also "demo day" at Castle. That's when all the major ski manufacturers come and bring next year's skis to the hill for people to try. I got a pair of mid fat skis from Head. I have now decided that I must get another pair of skis for next year. The fat skis are so much more suited to the powder. I was sad to bring them back and strap on my carvers again.

Riding the chair lift enables one to meet interesting and unique people. Yesterday certainly provided for some entertaining lifts:
  • ski patroller who will celebrate his 20th year patrolling next year

  • farmer from near Swift Current who skis all winter

  • a U of L student who works at Alpenland

  • a Team Canada Skeleton athlete, who was at the Olympics in Turin


What's that?

Did I say a farmer from Swift Current?

Yes, I did say that I met Carla Pavan, member of Canada's National Skeleton Team.

We had a great conversation about sport and the differences between real sport and celebrity sport, and where the real athletes are. It was a transcendant experience that I will likely remember for a long time. At least a month. And really, we were transcending the mountain together.




Aside from the thrill of meeting this outstanding athelete, I can now also claim that I'm 1 degree separated from gold medal olympian Duff Gibson.

No comments: