20 November 2005

this is my new church

At a church this morning, the speaker suggested a list of many things which are "not enough".

Seemed a bit odd in the moment, but then he led into his list of four statements which "are enough".


  1. Believe in Jesus.

  2. Accept Jesus as your personal saviour and Lord.
    [What does that mean anyway?]

  3. Connect with a community of people who have already adhered to the above two items.

  4. Obey the Church/their church/the Bible.
    [This was stated rather ambiguously.]



Shockingly, there are three too many statements in this list.

Last time I checked, the only requirement for salvation, for "making it right with God", only consisted of one thing: believe in Jesus (John 3:16, and also further on in v.36).

Yes, this is narrow: it is only considering the New Testamental Christian view of soteriology. But I don't have time for any other considerations at this time, and I think they are stupid anyway.





This evening, instead of the traditional church service, I went to a different kind of religious gathering:

POKER NIGHT


We played Texas Hold 'em. $5 to buy into the pot, then an equal amount of chips to each player, and the winner who takes all the chips takes the entire cash pot. Little blind and big blind started at 50 and 100 respectively, and then doubled every 15 minutes.

Seven players in total.

I bet relatively large on a hand I thought would win. But didn't. Then I was down to a miniscule pile of chips and basically sat back and rode it through the night, watching massive bets and piles of chips being shuffled across the table. I was always able to make the blinds.

And then...

With all the table talk and jabbing and that I was the 'new guy', and I think that most of the other people knew each other already, it was all a bit surreal and a blur.

But I got a full house 6-6-6-4-4, and took a sizeable pile of chips to keep me in the game (at that point only two people were out).

And then I waited a bit more.

Took a few more hands on high pairs.

And finally it was down to two of us: me and the game host.

First hand, I was dealer and he was big blind. I folded.

Second hand, I was big blind and dealer, and the host was little blind. I had more chips than him, but he went all in, so I matched him. He had a pair with the flop; I had nothing. But then on the river, I swept that pile of chips with a flush!!! Taking the glory and the $45 prize!!!




Playing poker is its own type of church. Even if I had lost, I accomplished more playing poker tonight than I did going to church this morning.


  • I connected with a community, and met knew people with whom I was able to develop relationships with, and will continue to do so at future poker nights.

  • I rode the emotional highs and lows and was able to be moved in spirit at the dynamic plight I was currently experiencing through external stimuli (akin to "worship music").

  • I obeyed the rules.

  • I still believe in Jesus.



Oh yeah, and I won too. When was the last time you went to church and put money in the offering plate and they had a 50/50 draw, or simply just gave all the money back to someone in the congregation for no reason at all, aside from being charitable?

This morning, I felt nothing. It was just another service. I wanted to leave immediately afterwards, I didn't want to stick around to talk to anyone or be fake.

This evening, I felt everything. It was essentially unique: my first poker night. I wasn't watching the clock at all, wondering when it was going to be over. At the end, it was affirmed and confirmed that poker night does happen weekly and that I am more than welcome, and that Dave is obliged to bring me back, because I won their money.

I see relevance in poker night. I see relevance in wine & cheese & Jesus night.

I don't see relevance in (a/any) church service.

No comments: